Thursday 8 November 2012

Debut...


My first newspaper report was published today in the Herts Ad. As many of you will know, I have been in the local paper more than once before but this is a landmark because it is the first time my name has been printed as a by-line. Unfortunately, the article is not available directly online but you can sign up for free and read this weeks edition. It is on Page 23 and will soon be framed on my wall no doubt.

As students, we’ve been told that most of the time, stories just fall in your lap. This was certainly the case. I came home from University late Friday evening and read a letter explaining that a film starring Simon Pegg and Nick Frost was using the building site near our street as a setting. I couldn’t believe my eyes. Ideas of how I could get a story were racing through my mind. By the time I decided to ring the production team.  I apologized to the woman for calling late and then asked if I would be able to get some interviews. She said it was unlikely and told me to ring back in the morning.

I did but was told that I’d have to go through PR and only established magazines such as Empire were allowed. This didn’t deter me as I went down to the front gates to see what was happening. Vehicles were constantly driving in out so I decided to chance my luck by going on set. I thought security would send me away but they didn’t. My sister and I were able to take pictures and speak to crew without any trouble.

I had done my research so wanted to meet the cast or director but this didn’t happen as they were busy and I had other commitments in Norwich (damn you Arsenal).

I am so grateful to the Herts Ad Editor Matt Adams who printed the piece with my name accompanying. Hopefully, this will be the first of many printed articles I can put in my portfolio.

Bye for now!

No comments:

Post a Comment