Monday 4 February 2013

How do I look?


My image and the way other people perceive me has always been a massive deal.  Since I was diagnosed at the tender age of nine, I’ve seen my body change, as the condition got worse.  And I can safely say (as depressing as it sounds) that I have never been at ease with the way I look. Not just in the normal teen conscious way but also, how being in a wheelchair looks. Up until my spinal operation(s), I used to not be seen out with my headrest for fear that it made me look disabled. It sounds absurd but sums up the thoughts going through my head. I haven’t changed and only wear it to protect my neck.

Over a decade later, I still have absolutely no confidence in my appearance, which is only compounded by my constant relationship status. Single.

I suppose it’s the materialistic world that we live in that puts emphasis on image. Normally, people complain about the skinny models in the magazines and rightly so, but you’ve heard it all before. I’d like to come at it from a different angle and criticize the lack of disabled people in the media. Of course I’m going to hate the way I look if I’m bombarded with pictures of fit, normal men who all women seem to love.

The confidence thing is a state of mind and only I can change it but I wanted to let people know that it’s not as easy as just walking up to a girl and chatting her up. I’m Wheelchair Boy, slightly different to your average Joe.

Bye for now!

No comments:

Post a Comment