Monday 19 August 2013

I’m Spazticus…


The title is not meant to be offensive because like I have said before, at the end of the day, a word is just a collection of letters. You might have heard of the programme because ‘I’m Spazticus’ refers to a disabled prank show. The reason I am flagging up the Channel 4 comedy and urging fans of my blog to watch is that the hidden camera show does exactly what I try to do. Points out various issues with society in a light-hearted style and therefore demonstrates disabled people are humorous. Having a laugh unites humanity and this programme makes it clear that whatever the impairment, people enjoy practical jokes.

I have been vocal about the lack of disability coverage in the media following the successful Paralympic Games last year. However, I must praise Channel 4 for their 22.00-23.30 slot on a Wednesday. Although 2 disability related show is not enough on prime time television, ‘The Last Leg’ followed by ‘I’m Spazticus’ do not take themselves too seriously and both as a result present disability in a positive light. They’re genres (chat show and hidden camera respectively) that T.V. has seen before but the added element of disability makes for more interesting and entertaining viewing.

These aren’t new programmes. They both done well during the Paralympics and it was a pretty obvious decision to re-commission them.The reason why I like ’I’m Spazticus’ in particular is that disabled people are not afraid to push the boundaries (as I do) and say what everyone else is thinking (also like me) Now I won’t describe what happens (you can watch) but I will say that I would like to play these kind of jokes on unsuspecting members of the public. There’s an idea…

Go watch the first episode from last week now: http://www.channel4.com/programmes/im-spazticus/4od
Hopefully there will be more disability programming in the future (like the sitcom I’m working on at the moment).

Bye for now!

No comments:

Post a Comment