Monday 16 September 2013

Do you believe in miracles?


I certainly don’t. Growing up, I attended a Church of England primary school so used to follow Christianity.  The concept of miracles seemed perfectly plausible as a youngster but since I was diagnosed with Friedreich’s Ataxia at the tender age of 9, all my life experiences have made me streetwise and a great believer of logic. There are occasions where my common sense goes out the window and I imagine what life would be like if one day, I woke-up and discovered I could suddenly walk. Then, I slap myself around the face and get back to reality.

I’m not criticising those who claim miracles do happen, it’s just that I feel they are complete nonsense. The belief that ill people may be miraculously cured is comforting for many as the idea of someone suffering an affliction for the rest of their life is difficult to comprehend for humans. However, in the same way that it is impossible for a blue Ford Anglia to fly through the air (Harry Potter reference), realism should tell you that a person cannot be magically made better. For example, if a patient suddenly wakes up from a coma, it is not a miracle. There will either be a logical, scientific explanation or it is pure luck and a mere coincidence. Why does God or the like have to be the answer?

The reason I am having this mini debate (it feels like I’m back at school writing an Ethics essay) is because when I went swimming on Friday, I stood up in the pool and my legs felt abnormally strong. Like I said, I don’t believe in miracles and deep down knew it was probably something to do with the water holding me upright. I was only standing for a minute and soon returned to having jelly legs but for that brief moment, I got carried away. I wondered what would be the first thing I’d do if I could walk again. Jump? Run? Find a football and kick it?

My next thought was that I would probably never know if I was suddenly made better. I wouldn’t have the confidence to try and walk. Hypothetically speaking, what if I went to get out of my chair and had a really bad fall? I’m not brave enough to test if a miracle has happened because in all likelihood, I’d end up hurting myself. It’s not worth the pain.

Also, I don’t know if I’d want to be able bodied. Obviously, it would be preferable to not be disabled in the first place but 10 years after diagnosis, I can’t imagine life without Friedreich’s Ataxia. A miracle would definitely make my life easier but all the negative aspects of being a ‘Wheelchair Boy’ is what makes me into the person I am today. Everything would be extremely different, and not necessarily for the better.

Bye for now!

No comments:

Post a Comment