Monday 30 September 2013

Housing…


Basically, my search for a place that suits my needs and/or a landlord who is willing for adaptations to be made has been an impossible task. I have considered hitting my head against a brick wall, as that may prove more fruitful. Seems as the private route is a no go at the moment, I thought I’d re-visit the council to see if they were more helpful this time around. Like before, the woman kept repeating the fact that “I was lucky to be on the list” and that there was nothing that could be done to help me. She was completely missing the point that if I wasn’t disabled, I wouldn’t be asking for help to move out because I’d have a decent job.

However, I do have a disability indefinitely (it’s only going to get worse) but no one at the council, or government in general, seem to grasp that idea. I had to ask my social worker to write a letter about my condition in the hope that the housing department would understand my needs. They still were unhelpful but were now blaming the infamous bedroom tax. I wouldn’t be given a two bedroom flat because of the additional bedroom eventhough it would be used by my full-time carer. It’s just another example of why the ConDem policy is completely ridiculous and should be scrapped because if that isn’t discrimination, I don’t know what is.

So, apart from feeling frustrated and hopeless with the whole situation, where am I currently? I’ve been advised to contact a few local housing associations to see if they have any future developments suitable. Aside from keeping my fingers crossed, there’s nothing much else I can do. Especially when Cameron and Clegg seem intent on attacking disabled people by implementing unfair taxes whilst simultaneously cutting benefits. Sounds perfectly logical I’m sure you’d agree.

Bye for now!

No comments:

Post a Comment