Thursday 6 February 2014

Cinema…

Soon after watching The Wolf of Wall Street, I went to see another Oscar nominated film that everyone has been praising non-stop. 12 Years a Slave was a very moving dramatization of a true story and it’s definitely another movie that I’d recommend. The history syllabus throughout my school years was heavily weighted on slavery and Civil Rights but I came away from the cinema feeling more knowledgeable on the subject. I should add it leaves you hating white people but apart from that, it’s worth the admission fee.

However, that is where my mini review will end tonight. Instead, I’ll share with you all why I penned a strongly worded letter of complaint following this particular visit to VUE in Watford. Now, I gave the cinema manager my letter (it was just under half a page so not too long) on Sunday 26th January so they’ve had nearly two weeks to reply but haven’t. Therefore, I think it’s time to speak about the issue I had and flagged up to them.

Basically, my carer and I went up to the counter to see whether they had any tickets left for the next screening of 12 Years a Slave. Granted we should’ve booked but the film was not that new so I just assumed it wouldn’t be busy. On the contrary, the girl serving us said that there were still free wheelchair spaces but my carer wouldn’t be able to sit next to me as is customary. The nearest available seat was the row in front of me. I wasn’t best pleased (as you can imagine) but bought the showing was about to commence and I didn’t want to miss the start. Plus, I get rather uptight and riled in face-to-face confrontation and am more thoughtful when complaining in written form.

The main problems that I outlined in the letter I wrote was that my carer couldn’t get to me swiftly in case of emergency. Also, I have a Personal Assistant to act as my second hands if you like but they can’t help me sitting a row in front. The Odeon is VUE’s main competitor in my area and I concluded by saying that they do not sell the carer seats without an accompanying wheelchair user. In fact, the seats have a ‘RESERVED’ sign on them with the universal disabled sign to avoid confusion.

I simply asked the manager if he could consider changing the policy so that carer seats are kept free for any disabled customers but VUE in Garston obviously don’t care what ‘Wheelchair Boy’ thinks, hence the lack of response.

Bye for now! 

No comments:

Post a Comment