Tuesday 25 February 2014

More than a game…

Most people don’t realise just how much the Arsenal means to me. Everyone is aware that I’m a massive fan because I watch them all the time, either live or on the T.V. However, my whole life is devoted to Arsenal Football Club. My calendar revolves around the fixture list, I can always link whatever happens in life back to the Gunners and if a girl ever asked me to choose, I’d go for 11 men in red & white without hesitation. Sad? Yes, but it’s my life and there’s no way of getting around it. I wish I did not have this unhealthy obsession, as life would be less stressful, but I do.

I watched the 1997 RomCom Fever Pitch starring Colin Firth yesterday and it dawned on me that so much of the film rings true. I’ve seen the adaptation of the Nick Hornby novel so many times throughout my childhood but with adult eyes, I realised that the main character of Paul is more or less based on me (apart from the minor fact he is not in a wheelchair). The whole film gives an insight to my life but I think the following sums up how I feel about Arsenal: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35_Tafe762A

The similarities are uncanny. His first visit to Highbury was in the West Upper, just like me. I remember the goosebumps I felt going up the stairs and seeing the immaculate pitch for the first time, just like he did. Then as an adult, he has as a Season Ticket in the North Bank (again, I do although in my case it's at the Emirates). Plus, the fact that the Arsenal dictates his emotions, which is something I suffer from. If Arsenal win, I'm ecstatically happy but if Arsenal lose, I'm down in the dumps. At least until the next game.

I recommend you all go and watch Fever Pitch if you want to see inside my mind. If not, here are the best bits: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEMyKlXzV4w


Bye for now!

No comments:

Post a Comment