Wednesday 26 March 2014

Third time lucky…

Those who have been reading my blog since I begun writing nearly two years ago will remember that I had a couple of issues with trains back in 2012 (you can read the posts here: http://theadventuresofwheelchairboy.blogspot.co.uk/2012/07/trains.html and here: http://theadventuresofwheelchairboy.blogspot.co.uk/2012/07/trains-2.html).

Following the second incident, I wrote a letter of complaint to First Capital Connect (FCC), which sparked a meeting to discuss the problems further and get more of my feedback to determine how FCC could improve their service for disabled customers. However, I wasn’t convinced by the rhetoric so decided to give trains a miss for nearly two years. I hoped that my next journey from St. Albans to St. Pancras would be third time lucky but I didn’t realise that I’d have to wait until March 2014 to find out if any positive changes had been made.

I didn’t boycott trains conciously (in the same way that I am boycotting Pizza Express, VUE cinemas and BP garages), I just could not be bothered with the hassle that getting a train could potentially cause. Driving to London is normally easier, providing there is adequate parking available. When we went to Madame Tussauds though, there was no designated bays and the rules of street parking in the Capital is a sticky subject so I decided that catching the train would be the best option.

There are no issues to report in this post and although I do enjoy a good old moan, I was relieved that my whole journey was problem free. When the man got the ramp out at St. Albans, I reminded him to tell St. Pancras that I was on my way so they would definitely be ready this time. I also noticed that as we passed through stations like Kentish Town, there were ramps on the wall so if there was an emergency, I could get off. Perhaps FCC did listen to my suggestions.

My positive experience has definitely restored my confidence in using trains. I am even thinking about getting the Eurostar to Paris when the weather is a little better.


Bye for now!

No comments:

Post a Comment