Thursday 10 September 2015

At last...

Nearly 4 months after I was given the keys, I am over the moon to finally say I will be flying the nest and moving into my new flat next Thursday. You all should be aware by now (if not, may I suggest you read some older posts) of the arguments my family and I have had with the council regarding the lack of fencing around the property. After months of not listening to our points, they have thankfully come to their senses and have agreed to put fences up as they can see the potential security issues of having an exposed garden. Although their change of heart probably came about because they have had enough of 'Wheelchair Boy' and just wanted to put the situation to bed. Either way, I am more than happy.

This move will be a giant milestone for me as hopefully the flat will be my home for the foreseeable future but it all feels very surreal. Probably because I've waited for so long but now a date has been confirmed for my bed and hoist to be transported over, I can begin to get properly excited. One positive to come from the 'fence saga' was everything is done such as decorating, adaptations, furniture is in and all the white goods are ready. My current bedroom is looking kind of bare, which is making me even more desperate to move out and start a new chapter in the book they call life. However, it's only a week so not long to wait.

I realise that I probably sound too eager to get out of my parents house and I apologize if it appears I am being ungrateful.  It's just I want to stand on my own two feet (ironic because I physically cannot). My mum and dad have done a marvelous job for 21 years but I would like to be as independent as possible for someone with Friedreich's Ataxia. I already have a team of carers so I am partly independent at the moment but having my own place will be the cherry on that 'freedom' (best to say that in a Scottish accent) cake. I will be able to do what I want (within law), whenever I please (apart from play music loudly after 10PM).

Bye for now!

No comments:

Post a Comment